Mirandazoch
(New Member)
11/16/11 05:43 PM
Four year old obsession

I'm new here. But I've been trying to find a place to find support and I'm hoping that this will be a good place to find it. I have a 4 year old named Isaac. He was diagnosed as a high functioning autistic. We aren't overly worried about his future because he is a such a smart little boy.

Right now we are dealing with an obsession. He loves letters and numbers (LN) as well as puzzles. He just got a little set of the foam LN that fit together like a puzzle from school. He plays with them non-stop. He flips out if Peter (his 18 month old little brother) goes anywhere near them, or the dog for that matter. We got a container today so we would have a place to store them and we were trying to see if they would fit and he had a MELTDOWN. We put him in timeout because he kept reaching in and grabbing them and throwing them everywhere because he didn't want us to put them in the container. He sat in timeout and screamed and screamed. We kept telling him to calm down and stop screaming. That as soon as we got them all in he could take them back out, but it just kept going. When we had them all in we told him that as soon as he calmed down he could come down and take them out and play with them, but he just kept screaming "take them out". It's at this point that we just don't know what to do. Do we take them away? What I ended up doing was telling him that if he didn't calm down by the time I had them all put together and put back in the container that I was going to put them up. And after 10+ minutes of screaming he finally calmed down enough to say ok when I asked him if he could talk nice. At this point both my mom and myself who were with him at the time were about to pull our hair out. And we were having trouble not screaming right back at him.

How do we deal with this obsession? The meltdowns are just getting worse and worse. And we are about at our wits end! There must be someone here that's dealt with the same issues and can offer some advise. Please! We are getting desperate.

Contact Us Autism