Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
jojo61397

Reged: 01/04/08
I need help...
      #628 - 01/04/08 02:56 PM

My husband is in the military. My son is mod. classic autism (is verbal and responding well to ABA, biomed). My husband recently talked to his boss about PCSing (moving) to a location where we could get more services. Basically, we have no private speech, no private OT, no private PT. He gets 5 hours a week of speech at school, 1 hour a week of OT, and 10 hours of ABA (which I do on my own, and I'm not qualified). We are authorized 20 hours a week at $2500 cap, but the only person who will come out is charging $12000 for the first visit (we are very very very rural). So my husband put in for reassignment. We have to have a ranked ordered list to his boss by Monday. Here are the cities we can go to, what are your opinions about services (not ranked ordered):
1. Omaha, NE
2. Tampa, FL
3. Washington DC
4. Virgina Beach, VA
5. Colorado Springs, CO
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Baltimore, MD

Thank-you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
renandstimpy

Reged: 04/04/07
Loc: Florida
Re: I need help... [Re: jojo61397]
      #629 - 01/05/08 12:15 PM

Based on what I've seen and heard, MD is your best pick from that list. I've heard horror stories out of both CO & VA.

I live in Florida and services are ok, but unless you can qualify for the McKay Scholarship, things are really tough.

Not sure about TX, DC, or NE.....but I specifically remember reading some fantastic things about Maryland.

Good luck.

mithraeus

Reged: 10/18/08
Re: I need help... [Re: renandstimpy]
      #824 - 10/18/08 09:06 AM

DC has some good services. Also, Bethesda MD, which is a half hour from DC, has a ton of services. If you move to DC, I would suggest moving to the MD side, as they have actual autism medicaid waivers.

momofaprince

Reged: 07/06/09
Re: I need help... [Re: jojo61397]
      #962 - 07/06/09 11:01 AM

(disabled world.com)

The chosen states are as follows, from top to bottom.

1. Wisconsin
2. California
3. New Jersey
4. Ohio
5. Missouri

momofaprince

Reged: 07/06/09
Re: I need help... [Re: renandstimpy]
      #963 - 07/06/09 11:04 AM

I live in Texas and I am having to FIGHT for my son. I have to research everything to take to ARD (if I want my son to get the appropriate services). We have been lied to about things, then we have to turn around print the truth and show them otherwise.

mikry2001

Reged: 11/17/09
Loc: ny
Re: I need help... [Re: momofaprince]
      #1025 - 11/17/09 03:16 AM

where in Texas are you? I'm contemplating on moving to pearland, texas. Can you give me some suggestions of how to find good services as well as how to work things out, please. Thank you!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11993

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism