Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Asperger's Syndrome (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aspie Diagnosis
      #15 - 12/08/05 11:07 PM

Does anyone know when children are typically diagnosed with Asperger's? Is 4 years too young? Some of our doctors suspect Aspergers, but others are saying maybe it's something else within the autism spectrum. Is there a 'typical' or average age when this is diagonsed?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Davidsdad

Reged: 12/06/05
Loc: UK
Re: Aspie Diagnosis [Re: Anonymous]
      #17 - 12/09/05 04:18 AM

We didn't get a diagnosis until our son was over 5 years old. This was mainly due to reluctant referring by the family doctor and assessment waiting times.

I don't know if there any stats with the info you want, but any diagnosis can be changed if found later to be incorrect.

'Some of our doctors'. How many doctors are you seeing? Paediatric consultants are the ones really that can do the correct diagnosis. In my experience family doctors are often reluctant to make a referral!

Have you had a diagnosis? Do you think it's wrong?

I am not that experienced but I would say that although autism can be diagnosed at a very early age maybe asperger's takes a little longer to pinpoint, but I might be mistaken. 4 seems a reasonable age to me. As I see it the diagnosis should only be made if the signs and symptoms of the condition are there regardless of age.

Good Luck
Mike

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Aspie Diagnosis [Re: Davidsdad]
      #101 - 06/07/06 08:41 AM

ask your heath vister

Anonymous
Unregistered

#102 - 06/07/06 08:44 AM

i tryed for years to get my daughter dx but could not get any help so i phoned my hv she came out filled all the froums in it only took a couple of months she is 6 dx aspergers 2 months ago so phone and ask her to help you all the best

Anonymous
Unregistered

#111 - 06/08/06 07:31 PM

My son got a diagnosis at age 3. The neurologist said that because the AS diagnosis has the component of no clinically significant language delay by age 3, you can diagnose aspergers at age 3, and not before.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#153 - 06/13/06 02:54 PM

Our son received his dx at 3.5. There was some debate about whether he was pdd/nos or apsie. I think the fact that he was VERY verbal with a propensity to memorize facts and a high anxiety level swung the dx to aspie. Upon visiting an Aspen group we were told that we were very lucky to get dx so young...most others in the group we're getting diagnosed after age 6 and even as teens. In fact, getting a diagnosis of Aspergers so young made our DDD caseworker so curious...he came to the house to visit our son, and promptly pronounced him to have PDD instead.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#193 - 06/27/06 03:33 PM

My son (3.5) has a dx of AS from a neurologist and PDD-NOS
from a psychologist. It seems to me that the exact DX doesn't
matter as long as you do the intervention required.

mumtodavid

Reged: 10/07/06
Loc: Glasgow,Scotland.
      #260 - 10/09/06 05:11 PM

My son was dx at five, although i know someone who was'nt diagnosed until 28! The dx took some pushing though, in all directions.
I was tired of people commenting about his 'bad behaviour' or 'being a brat'.
STILL after his diagnosis people are judgmental or prejudiced.

mumtodavid
x

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15472

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism