Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Asperger's Syndrome (Adults)

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Daughter 22 has Asperger &graduating from College
      #115 - 06/09/06 02:44 AM

My daughter with asperger's will be graduating from college this December 2006 with a BA in Techical Theater-Costumes, and a Minor in History "we did it" everyone said it wouldn't be possible. We wanted others to know it is possible to get through college with asperger's, and she is looking forward to working.

Even though it took lots of incouragement and waiting in my car for her for her in between her classes all day, this what she wanted to do. We got very little help-support from the disablitiy office and in the other area's like the chairman of the department, professors, eating at the food court, the meal plan that she only ate 5 meals in the 4 years which cost thousands of dollars and no one at the college cared that she has Asperger's Syndrome, and getting all the forms in and all the talking for her, making phone calls and her wanting to trying to live in a dorm as a normal college adult.

I am hoping now my daughter can find a friendship and the support she will need and I can stop hearing that I am controlling and smuttering my daughter, If they only new. Now what?

Any one who has had this expirience I'd love to chat.

Minnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Daughter 22 has Asperger &graduating from College [Re: Anonymous]
      #125 - 06/09/06 12:28 PM

I am a consultant currently working with several young adults trying to make it through college. I just wanted to say congratulations and way to go for her and you both!! I would love to hear what she is doing now and how the living situation has been since graduation. You can email me at jtomlinson@asdfocus.com.
Jacquelyn

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133 - 06/10/06 09:38 AM

Wow that is wonderful. Gives me some hope. I have a 23 year old son who did some college until money ran out. I love hearing how you"coddled" her. My daughter who is a high acheiving college student thinks I need to kick him out. We had no Transition help in high school and he got on a track not suited to his employability. We are just at the threshold of figuring out what he is going to do and how he might begin an independent life.
Laurel

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Daughter 22 has Asperger &graduating from Coll [Re: Anonymous]
      #221 - 08/12/06 12:33 AM

For the education consultant--where do you practice your consulting? I have a 23 year old daughter with AS who is struggling through college. I'm always looking for resources for her. Thanks!

Heidi

P.S. Congrats to the recent graduate in the original post--that is awesome!

oldsalt19

Reged: 02/11/11
Loc: USA
      #4763 - 02/11/11 05:29 PM

Hi Minnie,
Hang in there . Many like myself have made it, so can she. That she is getting her degree demonstrates that she is obviously bright. I am 67, was not diagnosed until 60 (!). I have a great satisfaction with my life, even as difficult as parts of it have been. At this point, if I were able to relive my years, I think I would choose to keep my "disability." Your daughter has obviously "got it" mentally. Our "disease" usually equips us with gifts that most "normal" people do not have. In many cases, this includes the ability to focus to a degree far beyond the capabilities of most other people. Issac Newton locked himself away for many weeks when he wrote his Principia Mathematica, which revealed the magic of Calculus, enabling man to reach the moon. There is general agreement that he was one of us. I spent a lot of effort during the bulk of my earlier life trying to be "normal." Finally, I decided I was who I was and I should work on my strengths.
She has a further advantage of being able to know what her obstacles may be.
Best wishes,
oldsalt19

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10006

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism