Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> New Member Area

Pages: 1
ckkoehler

Reged: 06/10/06
Hello, I am new
      #132 - 06/10/06 07:14 AM

My son was diagnosed when he was 2 years old. Mild Autism Spectrum Disorder. He is getting services through the school district. I hope that is enough, I wonder sometimes. We have thought about having another child but were told that the next one could have it as well. Not sure what to think. I wonder if there is anyway to determine this. They say the fragile X test, but I was told by someone they had that and it was negative and the child still came out with autism. The whole thing has been hard on our family. I hope to find support out there, to help us to deal with the reality of our sons issues.We love our son and no matter what we are going to be here every step of the way. I am in Oregon, any ideas of programs out there, would be appreciated. Thanks again for this forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kathy

Reged: 06/10/06
Re: Hello, I am new [Re: ckkoehler]
      #136 - 06/10/06 01:05 PM

Hi, I am new too. I know a lot of people who have "accidentally" had a second child and it didn't turn out to be autistic. Like you, we decided not to take the risk, having been told there was a one in 20 chance the child would be autistic. What kind of interventions have you tried? We are doing enzymes, GFCF diet and speech, OT and did ABA in the very beginning when he was 3. If I can help you with any feedback please let me know.
Kathy

STEVEWANGEL

Reged: 06/11/06
Loc: LYNBROOK, LONG ISLAND, NY
Re: Hello, I am new [Re: ckkoehler]
      #137 - 06/11/06 08:51 AM

I just signed up a few minutes ago and can't wait to get started. Our son, Joshua was diagnosed PDD/NOS at about 3. He is receiving services at a center based program, with speech OT and PT. Of course, my wife and I are looking for that "magic bullet cure". What kind of results has everyone gotten with nutritional therapy? What about the thimerisol thing? Any chelation results.

Annette

Reged: 06/11/06
Loc: Virginia
Re: Hello, I am new [Re: STEVEWANGEL]
      #143 - 06/11/06 09:45 PM

Hi, I think this website will be great.. found it through schafer report.
I really like the function of putting in your zip code... and hopefully finding people in your area [we need play dates that we don't have to justify our treatments/diet with.] We recently moved to Lynchburg, Virginia to find care for our 2nd child, Ryan. Ryan is 3 years old and was diagnosed with severe autism at age 2. We knew when he was much younger and wasted lots of time waiting for the diagnosis. He is doing remarkably better now. We are doing everything with the DAN protocols {modified {more strict} SCD diet, daily MB12 shots, mega-supplements, enzymes, anti-fungal treatment, gut infection treatments, HBOT, weekly IV glutathione, a home ABA program, and currently AIT.} So if anyone needs morale support or a cheerleader for any of the above just let us know. We will be traveling the next 3 weeks {we leave on 6/15], so if I don't answer quickly that is why.. but in July things will settle down. Our next step is to look at anti-viral therapy and then chelation. So anybody with great results or insights let me know.
Annette

Jarrett

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Arroyo Grande, California
Re: Hello, I am new [Re: Annette]
      #154 - 06/13/06 03:15 PM

Kim,
First thing: Remember that you and your family are not alone, even if it seems like it sometimes. Having a Child with Autism puts you in a category unto itself, that only other parents with Children with Autism grok. At the Very Least, you now have us on this board to help you with some of the things that you are or will deal with. And while we may not be able to give you a physical hug, we can be with you in text.

To answer your question (based upon my own experience with Connor, also diagnosed at 25 months) Applied Behavioral Analysis, Speech and Language, and Occupational Therapy are a good start, but there are so many ways to address your specific child's needs.

Unfortunately, because each child is different, and exhibits different symptoms (and possibly caused by different biological or psychological challenges) it is a trial and error approach to making them better.

My recommendations for getting information are the Shafer Report and the Autism Research Institute. If you can also get in touch with a Doctor in your area who follows (or is willing to follow) the DAN! Protocols, grab on and don't let go.

We also had an "accidental" son, 20 months after Connor was born and before he was diagnosed, and we watched him like a hawk for ANY regression... He hasnt been vaccinated with anything that I didnt go over with a fine tooth comb. (I personally lean into the Thimerasol Etiology Camp, but I do see some credence in the Measles/Gut Theory as well.) Connor is responding well to B12 shots, a MegaVitamin (Lee Silsby Powder), TMG (Trimethylyglyciene), and B6/Magnesium wafers. We are gearing up for chelation as soon as the doc says Go!

Edited by Jarrett (06/13/06 07:35 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12991

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism