Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> PDD-NOS (7-12 years old)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
christine

Reged: 06/11/06
Reading tutoring
      #140 - 06/11/06 02:33 PM

I have a 12 year old son with PDD-NOS and he has a reading disability. What reading programs worked for your reading-delayed child? Thanks much!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Reading tutoring [Re: christine]
      #180 - 06/20/06 12:38 AM

My son is in a language based program at school. I take him to the library a lot. We let him pick out his own books. Dr Seuss books are great for kids at any level. We have never used one particular program i.e. hooked on phonics ect. I have 2 boys 16yrs and 12yrs pdd-nos

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Reading tutoring [Re: Anonymous]
      #190 - 06/21/06 11:32 PM

My daughter uses Edmark and it has worked great for her. I have a tutor come once a week to the house for 2 hours of 1 on 1. It is a very hands on program. You could probably run it yourself with your son, it is pretty straight forward. Not cheap, but I purchased it used. Also Laureate Learning software has been a big help too. It is designed to be run completely independently. Also not cheap but if you go to their website (google it), you can order a free demo and see how your son likes the program. Good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Reading tutoring [Re: Anonymous]
      #230 - 08/26/06 10:32 AM

My son is 11 he has used Lexmark, hooked on phonics he didn't understand them. At 9ys old they tried the Wilson Program and everything just fell into place. Ask your school if they have a teacher certified in it. My son is now reading at the 3rd grade level. Which gives him enough to understand what the teachers are asking of him. We are contiuing this program until the 8th grade.

alh

Reged: 05/19/07
RE: Wilson Reading System [Re: Anonymous]
      #457 - 05/19/07 12:49 PM

I'm curious what state the parent with her son using Wilson for reading is in? We also found (at age 11) the Wilson Reading System program works so well for son, too. It was like a lightbulb had been turned on within just days of using the program. He had successfully completed several levels of Edmark, but he was 5th grade sight reader with an inability to decode and encode unfamiliar words. We are preparing for a move out of state this summer and I'm in the process of trying to find the best educational options. Any information on northern California would be particularly helpful!

For those who are curious...
Wilson Reading System was developed by Barbara Wilson. It is a 12-step remedial reading and writing program for individuals with a language-based learning disability. The system specifically teaches strategies for decoding and spelling. It also includes oral expressive language development and comprehension. Visualization techniques are used for comprehension. Based on the Orton-Gillingham teaching techniques.
Contact: Wilson Language Training, 162 West St, Millbury, MA 01527-1943 (800)899-8454

Momof2ASD

Reged: 11/03/07
Reading tutoring [Re: alh]
      #605 - 11/03/07 06:30 PM

I am sorry to say but I had to take my daughter to tutoring outside the home. I have taken her to a company called Tutoring Club they guaranteed their services to be a year ahead and with their help she is currently on grade level rapidly approaching above.
My daughter is 11 with PDD-NOS so I am not sure if that helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15236
Calendar Event: 06/11/06

Rate this topic

Jump to