Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
Tammy

Reged: 09/18/07
New York is one of the best states for autism serv
      #547 - 09/18/07 12:34 PM

New York has to be ranked one of the best states for benefits. My son started getting therapy when he was 2 1/2 and we do not have one dime out of pocket. Early intervention paid for everything which included 20 hours a week of therapy. His therapy included ABA which as I understand it is not paid for in every state. When he turned three the county paid for everything. This also includes full payment of all respite services.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louisville

Reged: 10/01/07
Loc: Louisville, KY
Re: New York is one of the best states for autism serv [Re: Tammy]
      #558 - 10/01/07 01:21 PM

Tammy and all NYS readers,

I was born in Buffalo, NY, and still have some extended family in western NYS. I've lived in Kentucky for 30 years, and my autistic son is 8. He receives no state-provided services, and my insurance covers very little therapy for him. ABA is not covered, so at age 4-6, when I had him in an ABA preschool program, I paid for it myself.

He began elementary school at age 6 for half-a-day. Public school provides little therapy (90 min. speech/week & 30 min. OT/week). He's in his 3rd year in a special ed class that is called LD (it's not designed with autism supports and strategies). He now attends 4 1/2 hours a day, and hates school. I've requested a placement in a smaller classroom (his class has 10 children, one teacher, and 2 assistants). Perhaps one teacher and just a few students with autism would be more appropriate based on his sensory needs. Also more one-on-one is a must. It's the only way he learns (I teach him at home).

Our district tells me they cannot offer a classroom specifically for autistic students. They are placed in LD, EBD, BD, MD or FMD classrooms where they are mixed with students of varying disabilities based upon their intelligence. There is one other child with autism in his classroom who takes up alot of the teacher's time (he's the Principal's son). The other 8 children have learning disabilities and some development delays.

School is worse for him this year than ever before. He's just not emotionally tolerating it, is not complying, and is not socializing with anyone at all. I live in Louisville (the state's largest city). There are no private elementary schools for autism here. There are two private elementary schools for LD, however, and they are very expensive (since they're not designed for autism, they might not be much more beneficial for him other than providing a smaller classroom).

If I moved to western New York with my son, can you tell me what type of services and education I might expect? Is there a website or place I can call to get this info.?

I know property taxes are much higher there than in Kentucky (my relatives pay 3 to 4 times the property taxes we do in Louisville) which has me very frightened (I'm already broke due to my son's therapy expenses). If I worked full-time I'm afraid he would regress without all the one-on-one home-tutoring that I do with him. Are you aware of any home-school alternatives in NYS for kids that don't do well in a school environment? Like a teacher or materials provided to you if you homeschool? There's nothing like that here. If you homeschool here, you're on your own.

Blessings,
Lisa

Momof2ASD

Reged: 11/03/07
Re: New York is one of the best states for autism serv [Re: Louisville]
      #608 - 11/03/07 07:18 PM

Lisa,
I am trying to do research on other states. I have been blessed with Arizona. I know that is a long way but out here I have paid for nothing for my son. He receives services which include 2 hrs of speech and an hour of music the only problem i have found is no OT available afterschool. My son is in a program here where he attends the regular classroom for part of the day and then receives his school services. I also have respite and habilitation for him.
I am sorry that you are going through so many difficult things it shouldn't be like that. Contact the states department of developmental disabilities they can help you with how to obtain the help you will need.
Good Luck,
Nancy

Reged: 07/28/08
Loc: Commack NY
Re: New York does not offer anything [Re: Momof2ASD]
      #785 - 07/28/08 10:29 PM

I Live in NY and if you are a single parent there is no help available. I have a son who is 11 yrs old,and high functioning autistic. He gets to float through the school grades. He is entering 7th grade and they did not teach the children script. They discontinued it, it is not necessary I was told.
If you are not financialy able to send your child to camp for the summer they sit and do nothing. This is heartbreaking to have to be at work all day and know your child is doing nothing productive with his time of on summer vacation.
It is all about the money. Who is making the most and if you are not then you just waste your time. This is disgusting to see the pain in a childs eyes because he sits all day in his room by himself, while I am at work. Then by the time I come home he is depressed. I have been in touch with everyone. Believe me there is nothing available in NY

--------------------
[email] Dilbertgail@aol.com

cchristian

Reged: 09/04/07
Re: New York does not offer anything [Re: 1212]
      #1454 - 09/30/10 09:22 PM

Agreed that NY is one of the best states for services. Don't live there but I have never heard a negative thing from any parents who live in state in regards to autism services

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism