Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> PDD-NOS (7-12 years old)

Pages: 1
pimmy

Reged: 12/07/05
Loc: NJ
Just an intro.
      #20 - 12/13/05 07:43 AM

My name is Jodi and my daughter is Sarah 8 HFA. She was diagnosed around 3 years of age, at that time she would have been moderately autistic. Early on between the ages of 3-5 years. She had vast amount of therapies, too numerous to list. Too many issues to list as well. Just a few are ABA/VBA, sensory intergration, OT, PT, speech, some dietary changes, we are not GFCF, but limit her intake of certain foods. Used some Floortime methods, as well. More of a combination program. Had a home program to compensate for more hours of ABA after school and on weekends, used pecs picture velcroed around my house until her vocabulary started to take off. She has always been in a public school system for her early years (out of my home district), a school that made a huge difference, with a wonderful teacher and aides. She has made remarkable gains through alot of hard work, last year she was brought back to my home district with her aide full time, although she really doesn't need her too must at this point, she is mainstreamed into a reg. 2nd grade classroom, with slight modifications that her aide and I discuss, since no one in my home school pretty much understands an autistic child. That is why we fight every year to keep her aide. Her diagnose has been discussed to be changed, but for now we keep it as autistic, to keep her on the "record" just in case we will need services down the road. She still gets a little speech, for the abstract ideas, for her to read into the stories, and for her to "read between" the lines as they say, also some OT for the fine motor control. I've rambled on long enough. Pleasure to be aboard, I am on alot of mailing lists, I usually don't post often but always read..........Jodi and Sarah

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Just an intro. [Re: pimmy]
      #114 - 06/08/06 11:37 PM

Keep those options open for the aide long term. Ours still has her aide part time in high school (9th grade)- she is almost ready to be phased out, but concepts get harder and more subtle, which sometimes requires the aide to assist. She may be ready to go it alone, but she wants her just as a backup. We don't want her performance or self image to take a drop, being friends are scarce at this junction. We keep her label as well - it still helps with services. MarkG

tiredmama3

Reged: 03/10/08
Re: Just an intro. [Re: pimmy]
      #696 - 03/18/08 09:48 AM

If you think she needs the aide, yes keep fighting for it. I think they Have to have an aide as long as you ask for it. That's great she has an aide that understands her and works well with her. She is very lucky.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism