Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> PDD-NOS (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
lostmom

Reged: 11/13/06
eating difficulties in 3yr old with PDDNOS
      #281 - 11/13/06 03:00 AM

My three year old adopted son recently diagnosed with PDDNOS, refuses to eat anything but oats porridge, cheese, juice, home-made french fries, macaroni cheese, apples and toast. He used to eat oranges, grapes and chicken nuggets but now refuses. Won't try anything new.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: eating difficulties in 3yr old with PDDNOS [Re: lostmom]
      #285 - 11/17/06 11:39 AM

Honestly, that's alot. My 6 year old won't eat half of that. We have had bigger fights to fight and we do give him a daily multi-vitamin(it's a gummy),his pediatrician is not worried about development. We are finally getting to a point where we are going to start a course of, if you try this(something he doesn't like) and then you can have this( something he really likes) and hopefully it will work.
Also, try offering two things that you know he has eaten in the past and not giving him another option. Get through the meltdown and maybe in an hour try again.
Just keep trying and offering new things. One day you might be surprised when he says yes to those spaghettios.

smb2002

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: NC
Re: eating difficulties in 3yr old with PDDNOS [Re: Anonymous]
      #438 - 04/10/07 04:19 PM

We had a very difficult time with eating. My daughter was down to Tostitos scoops with ketchup and apple juice. We saw a speech therapist who introduced us to behavioral modification eating. It has worked wonders for us. (And if it didn't we were starting to look at more serious interventions like tube feeding.) From what I have read about ABA, it is taking that idea and applying it to eating. We now eat everything from meatballs and pineapple to beef stew (gerber graduates) and peaches.

MegaJen

Reged: 09/28/07
Re: eating difficulties in 3yr old with PDDNOS [Re: smb2002]
      #591 - 10/22/07 06:40 AM

My 6 yr old will only eat jelly sandwiches, anything chocolate, pop tarts, and waffles. I'm at a loss with him at this point. He's so tall, but he's so skinny and his skin tone is kind of odd to me. The doc said just keep trying, but he's refusing. He's healthy, according to doc, but I want protein in his diet.

I bought those pediasure drinks, but they are loaded with sugar. I don't want to make things worse and have food as an issue.

John31

Reged: 09/18/08
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Re: eating difficulties in 3yr old with PDDNOS [Re: lostmom]
      #811 - 09/18/08 10:44 AM

My 3.5 year old PDD-NOS son, with the exception of breakfast, refuses to eat more than a couple of mouthfulls of food. He will only eat waffles, pancakes, rice chex or yogurt for breakfast. He is willing to take a bite of food or eat a chunk of food cut up for him if I tell him he has to before getting any juice. He is a juice fanatic!

GabesMom

Reged: 04/15/09
Loc: United States
Re: eating difficulties in 3yr old with PDDNOS [Re: John31]
      #915 - 04/16/09 04:52 PM

WOW, I just have to point out that almost every food that you all are mentioning Contains high amounts of Gluten or Casein. I just started my 6 yr old w/ PDD_NOS on a Gluten Free Casein free diet yesterday, and was googling for several hours about it. I learned that children with a Gluten or casein sensitivity or intolerance, actually Crave those foods and can actually have an addictive behavior towards them. The reason for this is that the proteins Gluten (from wheat) and casein (from dairy) are not properly broken down in these children, and to make a long story short, have an opiate like effect on these kids. So basically they are addicted to these foods. Which is why it's all they want to eat. It also can account for a high tolerance to pain and some of the behaviors that they have. Just imagine giving a 3 year old morphine every day. Of course they would behave differently right? I encourage you all to research this possibility in your children and see if you think it's worth looking into. I know it is for us. Also my son has always had terrible ibs, which I discovered is a symptom of Gluten intolerance as well....Good Luck!
GabesMom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15178

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism