Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
BriCheGreV

Reged: 12/12/06
Loc: SW Ohio
I'm feeling frustrated
      #323 - 12/12/06 07:41 PM

Iím feeling a little depressed right now and could use some support and ideas. My 3-yr-old son was diagnosed with autism last September and Iíve spent the year since then gathering as much information on the disease as possible, finding out about my local resources for special needs kids and seeking moral support from other parents in the same boat. Through many heartfelt discussions, my husband and I have decided to put our son through an early intervention ABA program and will begin this January. Iíve slowly learned to accept all this but now I have to confess Ė Iím feeling pretty low about how much time Iíll need to commit to see my son through this form of therapy. When my son was about to enter preschool, I was so excited at the prospect of going back to school, getting my certification in teaching, but now all that will be put on hold. I feel very stuck and also fearful at the monetary strain given that Iíll have to be at home, at least for the first part of my sonís program. Weíre getting a little help from the state but since I wonít be working, Iím not sure how much we can stretch our budget. How do you other SAHM do it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
francescaangel

Reged: 12/13/06
Loc: Florida
Re: I'm feeling frustrated [Re: BriCheGreV]
      #324 - 12/13/06 04:12 PM

As a mother of a 2 Ĺ year old girl with PDD, you have my utmost sympathy and best wishes for what youíre facing right now. Iím also enrolling my daughter in an ABA-based treatment and planning on taking time off to help with the therapy. But if you believe in the therapy and want it to work well for your child, youíll know that putting off school for a little while will be worth it. In the meantime, have you checked the web for work at home opportunities? Theyíre probably a million of those out there and at least some of them have to be legit, right? You can also look into Agloco, which Iíve read will pay you to surf the web, though shares. And keep contacting other mothers in the same situation as you Ė weíre always here to try and help!

Debbie

Reged: 12/31/06
Loc: California
Re: I'm feeling frustrated [Re: francescaangel]
      #336 - 12/31/06 01:00 PM

My son is now 9 years old, but was diagnosed at 2 1/2. I can still remember all that we went through that first year, trying to do the research and decide which treatment and therapies we should try. And then all the work to get our ABA program set up. But in the end it was all worth it.
The progress that he's made each year is amazing. The ABA program was vitally important to him. He's gone from almost zero receptive language, one or two words expressive to, not quite conversational language. Up until about April of this year, his language was all taught. However, this April we started him on Omega 3 and it's been amazing. We had to try several different brands before we found one he would take. He doesn't take pills so we squeeze the oil into his drink. Since April he's blown us away with his interaction. He's actually initiating conversation with us and at our Christmas party he actually initiated conversation with other adults he doesn't know very well. It's been amazing. I encourage you to do whatever it takes to keep your ABA program. Try Omega 3, it's an essential supplement that we all need, and check out the work at home businesses. I've been working from home since he was born and love to hear the cheers and giggles from him during his therapy from the other room.

Jacqui

Reged: 01/14/08
Loc: Cape Town South Africa
Re: I'm feeling frustrated [Re: BriCheGreV]
      #638 - 01/14/08 07:43 AM

Hi,
Firstly Autism is not a Death sentence. You have firstly done the right thing by putting him in a program as soon as you can. Time is not on our side with Autism, the quicker the intervention the better.

When I found out our son was Autistic I wanted to die. You feel as if you have raised this child for two years and then he is not who you thought he was. Fact of the matter is he is exactly who he always was, he hasn't changed. This is where your expectations of the child you thought you had need to be reassesed. He still loves you as his mommy and he needs you to accept him and help him with all the strenghth that you have.

I am not saying this is easy. It is damn difficult. But it is more difficult for your son that it will ever be for you. Never give up on him. We found a way and so will you.
It will require very hard work on your part and even harder work from him. He will always give it his best - you'll see, so you owe it too him to fight this alongside him. Remember that Autism is who he is and not wbat desease he has. All he wants is for you to try and help him understand this world. Our "planet" is like a foreign land to him, you have to help him understand our "language", "Customs" and "Culture". It is like taking him and putting him in a country were he understands nothing. His brain has an amaizing capacity for learning. The method is very different to the way we learn things. You need to excercise patients, understanding and empathy for him. If you feel frustrated can you imagine how your son must be feeling..... You owe it to him to show him your strength and belief in him. Trust me he feels and hears, he just has trouble expressing that. Get the ball rolling you'll find a way around the money situation, we did. It's a huge adjustment but well worth it.

Nellie

Reged: 01/23/09
Re: I'm feeling frustrated [Re: Jacqui]
      #870 - 01/23/09 10:11 AM

HI,
I definetley feel your pain, I am in the same situation, My 3 year old was diagnosed it Oct of 08, right in the middle of me completing my science degree, while working on a research project in the lab. My goal was to become a research scientist, so that I may understand my own illness which is Crohn's. Then when I received the news about my boy, my whole life changed. I couldn't foucus at school, because I worried my child felt abandoned by me, I spent all of my time at school or work. Now, I have dedicated this year to my son's well being, This is not simple, the decisions we have to make..there are sooo may options that it is hard to take in sometimes. Before I left school or work, I would have migraines and my Crohn's flared up. I think it is a long road, and we have to take it one day at a time. ANd financially well that is the real problem, the good news that I have been hearing is there is a lot of financial help available when dealing with children with autism, but I wish you luck, I you feelings are very valid.

mommyonmove

Reged: 06/09/09
Loc: Florida
Re: I'm feeling frustrated [Re: Nellie]
      #943 - 06/09/09 10:58 AM

Yes early intervention is worth it but don't ignore your stress, you need to make some time for yourself. I started a yoga class once a week and it helps so much. The problem I am having is the stress on my marriage which we never had before. I guess it will simmer down.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13275

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism