Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
Alderman

Reged: 04/19/07
Best and Worst States for Autism
      #445 - 04/19/07 09:45 AM

I found this website this morning after watching the Senate Appropriations Committee on Autism Treatment Funding yesterday. Your organization or website was not mentioned, but the spokeswoman from the Autism Society of America stated that she lived in Montgomery County Maryland. Further, she stated that this county was in the top 10 counties treating Autism in America and that her son, whom is Autistic, is receiving magnificent help through the county. We moved to Maine from Northern Virginia where my Autistic son has received FREE ABA therapy for 16 months in a private school which excepts private/public funding through a funding vehicle called the Katy Beckett Fund. It has made all of the difference in the world for my son and our family. In Virginia, we could not get him much. Prince William county offered very little speech therapy in a very grim setting.

He is now considered mainstreamed by the school that gave him 6+ hours of ABA everyday and is entering kindergarten this fall. We still have concerns, and know that ongoing care, treatment and educational needs must continue for his needs. Although we know Maine is better than northern Virginia (where we are from originally) we are considering the Wilson School District in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania just outside of Reading PA.

Even though this website site or organization was not mentioned in the Senate yesterday, it prompted me to do a google search on the "state for the best autism help" and I found a link to a different website that quoted your survey of the best states.

Apart from the states that listed your organization has listed, you also made mention that there were other states that easily could have made the list. Where does Maine, Pennsylvania, and Maryland rank?

We need to decide where to go next. We have opportunities in both states with regards to work or could even go back to Virginia and possibly Loudon or Fairfax county if they have made improvements in the last 16 months that we have been in Maine.

Any help you can give with regards to these states is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Alderman

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jayne

Reged: 08/25/07
Re: Best and Worst States for Autism [Re: Alderman]
      #528 - 08/25/07 04:32 PM

I interviewed Marguerite Colston of the Autism Society of America when she used that statement -- Montgomery County being among the 10 best states in the nation for services -- when she testified before a surprise autism hearing last March on the Combating Autism Act. She couldn't verify that statistic or tell me what the other nine states were.

Jayne
Jayne Lytel
Act Early Against Autism: Give Your Child a Fighting Chance from the Start
Penguin-Perigee March 2008
http://www.jaynelytel.com

snow

Reged: 10/30/11
Loc: pa
Re: Best and Worst States for Autism [Re: Jayne]
      #7760 - 10/30/11 01:09 PM

Pa is not a good state for adults with autism. Programs are being cut right and left. My daughter is 32 and we are thinking about moving to find better services.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism