Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
Alaska

Reged: 04/24/07
What about Adult programs and services?
      #446 - 04/24/07 12:48 AM

I have two boys who experience autism (not just autistic spectrum )as well as fragile x syndrome and came upon this site when searching for best mrdd services best states. I have a relative in Ohio who has a son with the same disability and am considering moving there for family reasons, but am concerned about what is available for ADULTS as her son is only 11 at this time. Where I live The ARC of Anchorage has wonderful recreation center that offers classes like cooking classes of different types ( itailian, spanish, russian, etc.) and Learning about animals, pottery (different levels ) etc. Although we live 45miles to north of Anchorage now, when we were there my boys just loved it. Currently what we have is Day Habilitation services and respite services. We got our name on the waiver list when they were in the first grade and only by me calling when they were near the end of the sixth grade and explaining my circumstance did I suddenly get the waiver for my boys. I think it goes by need now as well as when you get on the list. Seems many things - and rightfully so - are geared toward children and when the person is in school. But like anyone else they grow up. What then? Sit at home? Is work the only thing offered? My boys can't work long periods of time at all and while my boys enjoy it they can not in anyway do work more than a couple hours a week total, and they deserve to be able to do other things interesting to them as well - ie, recreational events or classes as I spoke of before. I realize I could stay put or move back to Anchorage but again I am considering a move back to the lower 48 for family reasons and would like to find out what there is out there in other states for adults with autism (whether or not they have another disability with it ) and more specifically in Ohio. Anchorage can't be the only city in the U.S.A. could it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6560

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism