Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
guestwithlove

Reged: 01/09/08
your instinct
      #634 - 01/09/08 10:45 AM

hi everyone,

my name is Lynn and I hope that you don't mind me asking you a question here - I'm really grasping for as much information as I can find. your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I've got a nine month old boy and I'm trying to figure out whether or not to give him the MMR vaccine when he turns one year.

I know that most of the empirical / scientific evidence fails to prove a connection between the shot and onset of autism, but I wanted to talk to the parents to find out your instinct on it.

Looking at my little guy...he's very social, but I know that things can change. I also have immune issues and see that IVIG is a possible treatment (I used IVIG to help maintain pregnancies).

I guess what I'm asking is, in hindsight, do you feel that your babies had some degree of autism all along (were there any signs at all before the shot) or do you think the shot might be related?

Thank you so much - I'm really feeling lost on it.
Lynn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sadiegirl

Reged: 01/02/08
Re: your instinct [Re: guestwithlove]
      #646 - 02/02/08 03:12 PM

Hi Lynn.
I am the mom of a 6 year old ASD and 2 younger boys 4 and 2 (neurotypical). I got the doctor to write seperate prescriptions for the measles, mumps and rubella.YOu would then send the scripts to a pharmacy (I sent mine to Hopewell pharmacy in NJ there is a backwait for the vaccine but your child can wait) You would simply get the measles vaccine sent to you and the doctor would give the shot. 6 months later you would give the mumps etc.. There is some kind of protocol I can find for you. This makes so much more sense then giving these babies all 3 shots at once. Find yourself a pediatrician who will write you seperate scripts. Don't take no for an answer. I wish I would have done this with my year old. We lived in Sweden for a year when my son was a baby and they did not even give MMR shots until the kids were 3 years old. Wish I took their advice.
Good luck!

DylansMom

Reged: 02/07/08
Re: your instinct [Re: Sadiegirl]
      #666 - 02/07/08 01:35 PM

Hi Lynn,

I'm trying to find out the same information you are. My son is 2 1/2 and has absolutely no signs or symptoms, but I am leary of getting the vaccine. I live in NJ where the chances of a boy getting autism is 1 in about 25. I'm going to eventually have to get it for him. Someone else had mentioned the same recommendation that Sadiegirl stated about getting the vaccines seperately. I don't know the reasoning behind it, though. I can't find a source that will tell me to what age children are developing / or getting diagnosed with this. I'm also curious as to whether or not they had symptoms before their vaccination.

luvnit

Reged: 10/17/07
Re: your instinct [Re: DylansMom]
      #670 - 02/12/08 04:34 PM

Helly Dylansmom,

I also have a daughter who is 5 1/2 and has autism. I also have a neurotypical son who is 4. When he was 2 we also had the dilemma of giving him the shot, or not. We decided to give him separate shots and 3 month intervals. The MMR shot stands for Measles, Mumps and Rubella . Essentially, they are three different shots mixed together. The problem speculated with the old MMR shot was Thimerosal. When the shots were combinend you needed to have a preservative which was Thimerosal which had Mercury in it. If you give the shots separately, there is no Thimerosal. I know they have a 'new' perservative and say they do not use Thimerosal, but how did I know the 'new' preservative would be any better. We used our instinct and decided to give our son shots on different intervals, no preservatives and used a completely different shot schedule. We have even cut out shots that were not completely required or necessary.

I am not a doctor and I am not giving any advice. I am just telling you what we did for our son. We felt that our daughter had autism so we had probable cause to be cautious. So, our caution seems to have paid off. Our son seems fine. I don't know if shots caused my daughter's autism or not. I know a lot of parents who think it has caused their child's autism. My personal belief for us is that our child was predisposed genetically, or was in some way not able to handle the shots. It was roulette for her. We decided not to play roulette again with our youngest child.

DylansMom

Reged: 02/07/08
Re: your instinct [Re: luvnit]
      #677 - 02/20/08 01:49 PM

Thanks for sharing that useful information with me. I think that's the way I'm going to approach it. Maybe I'll wait until he's a little older maybe 3 or so. Give his immune system time to develop. He's not in a 'Daycare' that requires the shots yet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12591

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism