Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
Awarenesskey

Reged: 03/16/08
Where to move???
      #694 - 03/16/08 01:37 AM

We recently moved to Gilbert, AZ from a rural AZ area, so our son could receive better services. We are pleased that he is getting better services and education, but we want to provide him the best that we can. I have heard CA and NJ have excellent services, but the housing costs in both places are simply out of our reach.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the best city/state (s) for services that are also affordable to live? I have spent a lot of time trying to find a ranking online (I did find the top 5 states ranking, but no other rankings), but after reading some of these postings I'm not sure I should trust the rankings.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3wvnow

Reged: 05/04/08
Re: Where to move??? [Re: Awarenesskey]
      #738 - 05/04/08 02:56 PM

Hello, I joined this forum in Alaska - somewhat good services there - better when the person is older. Although we have Fragile-x syndrom with Autism. I recently moved down to the lower 48 with my two adult boys. We were aimed to Ohio but ended up in West Virginia. I wouldn't recommend either of these states for services. As my cousin - in Ohio - has a son with autism and fragile-x and the schools seem to not want to deal with him.

I can't speak to much for Ohio on a personal note, but for a government that doesn't care about people with disabilities go to West Virginia. We will not be here more than a couple of years if I can help it (unless things change) as in this state when you collect disability from social security the DHHR office ( welfare office ) says you are too rich and so you do not get a check from the state. They count social security income here. You do get medicaid - however it is limited - . I of course am speaking as a mom of two adult children ( over the age of 18).

My first thought when I found this out was GREAT! I get finally down to the lower 48,( in a beautiful state no less ) and we end up in a state that basically doesn't want anyone who can't "hold their own". $100 a month may not seem like much, but since my boys are not able to hold a job but maybe an hour a week, $100 is alot. It just feels like we are for sure not wanted here, and I really don't want to be a "bother" to anyone.

I'm told West Virginia has about a year or more wait list for waiver services, which is WAY better than Alaska's time frame, in Alaska we waited about 8 years before we got services. I don't know about Ohio's wait list time frame.

Ohio at least gives about $100 a month I'm told for people with disablities. Alaska gives more, but the cost of living is higher up there.

Oh, I think Idaho is another state that counts social security income. From what I have found on the internet - which isn't much - the states were given the ability to govern their own welfare programs back in the late 90's by the federal government, this is one of the results.

lovemyson

Reged: 05/21/08
Loc: CA
Re: Where to move??? [Re: Awarenesskey]
      #753 - 06/09/08 11:15 AM

California has provided wonderful services. However, the cost of living is ridiculous. We are planning to move to Austin Tx for a better quality of life although from my understanding they do not provide the best of service. I am hoping that with the cost of living less there than CA we can pay for our child's services. CA is great but without a roof over your head it's hard to get by. Where to move??? I really don't know. Many factors to consider...

provider

Reged: 06/21/08
Re: Where to move??? [Re: lovemyson]
      #757 - 06/21/08 12:58 AM

I work with children with Autism. I am living in Oregon, which I can tell you is a bad place for you. We moved here from Idaho. As far as autism is concerned, Idaho is wonderful. The state funds services provided through private agencies. Each child receives 3 years of IBI (intense behavioral intervention) and possibly lifetime developmental therapy. There are also situations in which the children can receive PSR (psychosocial rehabilitation). The lifestyle and population of southern Idaho leaves something to be desired but honestly it might be worth it for your child to receive services. I know several providers in Twin Falls and could recommend the best.

Whisper

Reged: 04/14/11
Loc: Indiana
Re: Where to move??? [Re: provider]
      #5309 - 04/14/11 03:09 PM

I've heard CA is great. As well as PA, NJ, and NY. I live in the mid-west, in the Indianapolis area. The two families I work with are middle class, but they didn't have too many problems in this state. Mainly they had to deal with waiting lists and the occasional red tape hiccup. Services in this area are great--therapies, dietary supplement professionals, and state care--but you have to do a little hunting. There is a least one really good school for autism here as well.

--------------------
"It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know." -Thoreu

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14117

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism