Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Asperger's Syndrome (7-12 years old)

Pages: 1
Davidsdad

Reged: 12/06/05
Loc: UK
Hello I'm new here
      #5 - 12/06/05 02:41 PM

Hello, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I have an 11 year old boy with Asperger's. He got his diagnosis at age 5. He is a great kid and we have just gone through what is probably our best year yet with him. I am always interested to hear what other parents think and learn what strategies they use to deal with the everyday happenings of a boy on the spectrum.
MIKE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
law1724

Reged: 12/07/05
Loc: Mountainside, NJ
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: Davidsdad]
      #10 - 12/07/05 11:36 AM

hi, new here too. my name is lisa and my 8 y/o son, ryan, is an aspie. he was dx at 4 1/2 y/o. i also have a 9 y/o daughter, samantha, who is adhd. just wanted to introduce myself. thanks. lisa

aadityarohit

Reged: 12/07/05
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: law1724]
      #11 - 12/07/05 11:55 AM

hi, Im rohit , my son aaditya whoz five + is an autistic and we kinda really confused wat to do n where to go

bischon03

Reged: 06/09/06
      #121 - 06/09/06 10:50 AM

Hi Mike. I'm Kim and I am the mom to an 11 yo AS son too. We too have just had our most amazing year ever. He has made incredible progress in all areas this year it has just been amazing to watch. Not sure how much is the teacher or how much is maturity - but it has just been a wonderful year all around.
Do you do any specific types of therapies with your son?

~Kim

shaliscarai1

Reged: 12/11/06
      #321 - 12/11/06 10:46 PM

Hi. I'm Tammy. My son is 9 and we didn't find out he had Asperger's until a year ago. Kind of a shock to us but it explained alot. We've gotten help from the school but as for more than that, I'm clueless. I've had people suggest getting him on SI so we can afford couslors but I honestly don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

bwilson

Reged: 01/11/07
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: shaliscarai1]
      #343 - 01/11/07 12:27 AM

HI, Im Beth. Our 7 year old daughter is about to have a 4 day eval. at Mayo Clinic to evaluate where she fits on the autism spectrum. Any suggestions on what to ask, new therapies to question, things that have worked for you. We have been doing methyl-B12 injections for one year with amazing results, but want to continue exploring other ways to help her.

4pawz

Reged: 04/04/07
Loc: Indiana
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: bwilson]
      #419 - 04/04/07 09:44 AM

Im Rhonda, new here with an 11 yr son with asperger's and seizure disorder. He was diagnosed when he was 2. We have had some rocky years but this has been one of the worse. Hes in the 5th grade and has a teacher that really doesnt care for/about him. Kind of makes the school year a waste. The schools biggest complaint is he doesnt do enough homework. Big Deal! I cant get thru to them that MY biggest problem is getting my son to eat, bathe, get along with others, get him to wear clothes,take his meds, interact with the family.....etc. I will be so glad when this school year is over. Hopefully his next teacher will be better. One day at a time right?

mamaleeisme

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Ft. Knox, KY
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: 4pawz]
      #542 - 09/04/07 05:09 PM

I just read your post about homework not being a top priority, and I totally agree. I am thankful that my son's teachers are understanding, but trying to get him to do homework is like pulling teeth. I have other things to worry about, like making sure he doesn't get into the knives! (he has an obsession!) Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not the only one who has that problem.

Lindsay

Addies_Nana

Reged: 10/19/07
Loc: Maine
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: 4pawz]
      #599 - 10/26/07 10:24 AM

Hi, I went through the same thing when my youngest grandaughter was in the fifth grade. She had a great teacher but she knew how to get out of doing everything. I tried so hard to make them understand that she could do the work but she just didn't want to so she would become very oppositional. I told them they needed to find a concequence for her that would work(I also offered to help find on for them). They said because of her issues that they felt it would be better to just let her do as she wanted. That just blew me away. I was at school everyday and just sat there in the office and kept going to her class to sit for a few minutes. They got tired of me interupting and decided that they had to work with me. I hated it but it worked for the most part.

--------------------
Doing the best everyday to raise 3 grandaughters.

Momma1974

Reged: 10/08/08
Loc: Pa
Re: Hello I'm new here [Re: Addies_Nana]
      #820 - 10/08/08 10:20 AM

Hi, I just signed on the board today. We were just told my 6 year old has Asperger's too. Although he's in first grade, his biggest problem is transition. There's been a lot tossed his way. Now we have a TSS worker all day. He used to tantrum up to 25 times a day, and a BHS. Both seem to be helping. We also put my son in regular ed and special ed classes as well. The school district has been wonderful, but some days I'm scared to pick up the phone to hear what the tantrum was about. Sorry for rambling.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21623

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism