Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (Adults)

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Adults with autism support group
      #138 - 06/11/06 10:40 AM

My son is a 27 year old young man with autism. He has done quite well - is very verbal, social, works full time at a local hotel, gets to & from work by public transportation, etc. He has friends, is active in various social groups & Special Olympics. One thing that we feel is missing from his life is the regular opportunity to meet with other adults with autism who can understand what he goes through & how he feels better than we, his parents, or his councillor or coworkers can. He would probably have difficulty verbalizing his feelings, but I think he would welcome being with others who just get it. He would probably need a facilitator who would be able to help direct the discussions (this facilitator could be another adult with ASD who has strengths in this area, or not). I know that he is having difficulty with the things that his autism make difficult for him - his younger sister drives, goes away to college, etc. He can't. We live in the Boston metroWest area and would be interested in getting together with others who might be interested in having the same type of group.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Adults with autism support group [Re: Anonymous]
      #214 - 07/26/06 02:19 PM

My son is 18...I am trying to find a support group that has older autistic children/young adults.We live in Orange County, California. I would love to be in contactwith parents and have my son be involved with older peers.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#293 - 11/24/06 11:56 AM

Did you have any matches on the "friend finder" page? http://www.autismkey.com/friend_finder.htm

marti

Reged: 04/22/08
      #730 - 04/22/08 10:48 PM

Well - it looks like we are looking for the same thing. It's too bad that we are so far apart. I live in New Mexico.

QuietStorm

Reged: 10/05/08
Loc: Virginia
Re: Adults with autism support group [Re: marti]
      #816 - 10/05/08 07:22 PM

Hello,
I posted with the same issue as you guys, my son is 22 and there are no groups here for adults with Autism, or the parents who still care for them, I live in Virginia

--------------------
life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!

asacagim

Reged: 10/23/08
Loc: Massachusetts, US
Re: Adults with autism support group [Re: QuietStorm]
      #829 - 10/23/08 10:03 AM

Yup, this seems to be a universal problem. I'm having the same trouble here in eastern Mass finding even potential friends for a middle-aged, mildly-autistic man for whom i provide services. It does seem that once a person c. autism or autism spectrum d/o reaches adulthood, resources dry up.

litsa15

Reged: 09/07/09
Re: Adults with autism support group [Re: asacagim]
      #1003 - 09/07/09 09:38 AM

hello believe it or not my son is 24 and I think he is mildly autistic. All these years he has been diagnosed as high anxiety, racing thoughts, hearing voices, bipolar etc etc...He takes med for all that. But last night I was over my neighbors and I watched him from across the street pacing back and forth, he goes for walks at least 5 times a day, he smokes, he paces in his room, he repeats himself to people and now I'm wondering , has it taken me this long and society, friends, family, schools, college, jobs -- all this time -- is he suffering from mild autism? How do I find out? I need some advice here. Can someone help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15053

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism