Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
Jim

Reged: 09/28/07
Loc: Virginia
Virginia & West Virginia
      #555 - 09/28/07 10:27 PM

Virginia lags behind all but two states in spending on developmental disorders. It is now considering a state agency "home" for autism and other dd's. Some are pushing that it be included under the troubled Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services (DMHMRSAS) while many of us favor the creation of a new agency to deal with autism and other dd's. If you are a Virginian who thinks autism should not be thrown into the sinking DMHMRSAS, you can write to the Joint Commission on Health Care at sareid@leg.state.va.us or fax them at (804)786-5538. Tell them you favor the agency proposed by Parents of Autistic Children of Northern Virginia. It is called DAUTLIDD. DMHMRSAS can't handle the responsibilties it already has on its plate. Autism will get lost in the shuffle if it is sent to DMHMRSAS.

Edited by Administrator (05/04/08 04:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mtmomma

Reged: 11/28/07
Loc: VA
Re: Virginia is 48 out of 50 in spending on dd [Re: Jim]
      #616 - 11/28/07 09:43 PM

I'm in VA as well & really hate being here because of the lack of care & help that is offered.

I was born and raised in WV My husband in upstate NY

Both very poor areas and VA has shocked me with the lack of care & help offered.

3wvnow

Reged: 05/04/08
Re: Virginia is 48 out of 50 in spending on dd [Re: mtmomma]
      #739 - 05/04/08 03:04 PM

I have recently ended up in West Virginia from Alaska and would not recommend to come here. Ohio not much better. Heard good about PA though. West Virginia counts social security income for anyone over the age of 18. Alaska is fair for younger ones and much better for older folks, however, cost of living is higher and it took us 8 years to get services from the waiver program. We will not be in West Virginia longer than we have to. So, basically I have he same question but geared toward adults.

sherin

Reged: 07/28/08
Re: Virginia & West Virginia [Re: Jim]
      #780 - 07/28/08 03:05 AM

It is very interesting site. It is useful to all. Mental retardation is a very wide problem. We have to search another agency for solving this problem.
================================
sherihn
Addiction Recovery West Virginia

hesslei

Reged: 08/13/08
Loc: state
Re: Virginia & West Virginia [Re: Jim]
      #794 - 08/13/08 12:41 AM

The economy of West Virginia is one of the most fragile of any U.S. state. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, West Virginia is the third lowest in per capita income,ahead of only Arkansas and Mississippi. It also ranks last in median household income. The proportion of West Virginia's adult population with a bachelor's degree is the lowest in the U.S. at 15.3%.

------------------
hesslei

West Virginia Treatment Centers

--------------------
hesslei

Irene

Reged: 08/04/09
Loc: Virginia
Re: Virginia & West Virginia [Re: hesslei]
      #988 - 08/12/09 09:24 PM

Our child is seventeen. We live in Virginia. Been to Kluge...that was an utter waste of time and effort. They just want to push psychotropic drugs. One doctor in Charlottesville uses the metagenics protocol - if you can afford it! Virginia is a dump for autism, but if you have a low-function, non-verbal child with rage issues and a teen you might as well crawl into Dante's seventh circle of Hell. Unless, of course, you are independently wealthy and can fly to NY, TX, UK, Canada, etc. Oh, yeah... good luck with the air marshals when your child freaks out at 33,000 ft. and tries to smash out a window.

--------------------
Irene

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16899

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism