Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> PDD-NOS (7-12 years old)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
jjmom

Reged: 10/03/06
Social Skills for 8 year old PDD son
      #257 - 10/03/06 10:18 PM

Hello. New to this board. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for amazing social skills books? Our son is in a 3rd Grade inclusion class. He is PDD and is having a tough time learning when not to crowd or obsess over a new friend. We are so proud that he is branching out and wanting to interact. However, teaching social cues is getting tougher. We're working with the team at school (wonderful) but are always looking for outside assistance as a reinforcer!

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Social Skills for 8 year old PDD son [Re: jjmom]
      #319 - 12/11/06 11:25 AM

RDIconnect.com
Cluebreakers at Melmed Center
Dr. Sallie Loderquest has a social skills class.

Mike

Reged: 03/02/07
Re: Social Skills for 8 year old PDD son [Re: Anonymous]
      #399 - 03/02/07 02:23 PM

There's a great book called "My Social Stories" by Carol Grey and Abbey Leigh White. It discusses things like how to chew gum, how to help others, how to give a hug, and many other situations. It has been a great help for my son, he's ten years old and was diagnosed with PDD-NOS this past July.

Momof2ASD

Reged: 11/03/07
Re: Social Skills for 8 year old PDD son [Re: Mike]
      #607 - 11/03/07 06:36 PM

Hi I like the social stories by Carol Grey but what I have found that works the best is to write the story yourself and have him draw the pictures. This helped so much when we knew my daughter was going for surgery and we wrote a social story and she drew the pictures they relate better when they can own it.

ellynb

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Fredericksburg area, VA
Re: Social Skills for 8 year old PDD son [Re: Momof2ASD]
      #682 - 03/01/08 05:00 PM

If you go to amazon.com and type in social skills autism, several good books come up. I only have one of them but I thought it was fairly helpful:
The Social Skills Picture Book Teaching play, emotion, and communication to children with autism

It uses pictures and 'thought balloons' to show people's reactions to the 'right' way and 'wrong' way of interacting with people.

http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Teaching-e...8615&sr=8-2

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15558

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism