Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
autismmom2967

Reged: 12/30/08
Loc: NC
need help with behavioral isues
      #866 - 12/30/08 09:49 PM

I have a six yr old autistic son that has very aggressive tendencies, toward self and others can someone give me some suggestions on how to help him. He has these spells at bedtime and when it's time to change clothes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
latasha_gavsmom

Reged: 01/05/09
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: need help with behavioral isues [Re: autismmom2967]
      #867 - 01/05/09 10:37 PM

I know that we do not live in the same state but we were lucky enough here to find some great behavioral therapists at the University that observed Gavin and how he interacted with us both normally and in one of his "fits". They gave us a lot of methods. We use to have to hold Gavin's arms cus he would hit himself in the head or bite his hands, it worked in the sense that he stopped hurting himself but he would also kick me and split my lip a couple times head butting me. The method that works the best for us may sound stupid but it works. We have an extra bedroom in our house that just has a bed in it so he cant hurt himself. When Gavin has gotten to this point we just put him in the room (kicking and all) and tell him he will come out when he is done. (Gavin is nonverbal but understand most of what is said to him) I then do not say anything but stand outside the door and listen. He will scream for awhile and kick the floor but after a while he starts to "come down." He is still crying but not fighting and we proceed with what we were doing. I always tell him I love him and I am glad he is feeling better and we forget it happened. With Gavin it is all about attention so once he is the room no attention til he is done. It works for us, but what works for one mom doesnt work for all. Good luck tho.

Nellie

Reged: 01/23/09
Re: need help with behavioral isues [Re: latasha_gavsmom]
      #869 - 01/23/09 10:02 AM

I have the same issue with my 3year old. It has improved with paying close attention to his needs, if his needs are met, he usually won't do it. I have had to hold his head to keep him from banging it on anything, I tell him he can't hurt himself, and he calms down. It is about attention sometimes. I feel if you can give it give it, but if you are busy, putting him in a room alone does help.

Linnycat

Reged: 12/06/09
Re: need help with behavioral isues [Re: Nellie]
      #1036 - 12/06/09 12:16 PM

Be sure not to give any more attention than is necessary to the challenging, aggressive behaviors. This means, give minimal eye contact, and only do what is necessary to block your child from harming himself or you. Give no emotional reactions. Have something that is reinforcing for your child that he can have after the task is completed. Be sure to provide prompts when necessary as he is going through the task, and fade these prompts out so he can become independent with the task in the future. Provide positive reinforcement and descriptive praise through out the activity when he is engaging in positive behaviors. Be sure to reinforce immediately after the activity is done successfully (even if there were aggressions that you needed to block. Just insert a few directions to get some clean responses from him before delivering reinforcement) It seems that these times of day are aversive to your son, so he'll need assurance that he can get reinforced when the activity is done. The reinforcement needs to be HIGHLY motivating for HIM. SOmething you know already that he LOVES. Hope this helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism