Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Strange Nightime Behavior
      #19 - 12/12/05 09:58 PM

We have 2 sons on the spectrum. Our 4 year old has always been a very happy boy, but in Aug. he took this too new heights. He began laughing in the middle of the night for hours straight. We clocked it from midnight to 5:00a.m on several occassions. He seems to be asleep when he's doing it and he does not appear to be able to help himself. Because he is our second boy on the spectrum, Noah has been on the GF/CF diet for over over two years and he's had his yeast levels tested, etc... He has never been a sleeper, but this newer behavior of staying up for 5 hours staight with no break is horrific. We have tried several medications over the years and we just stumbled onto a combonation that seems to be suppressing the behavior. We are just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before.
Thank you.
Deb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Strange Nightime Behavior [Re: Anonymous]
      #97 - 06/06/06 08:37 PM

My son laughs crazy at nightimne also when he wakes up (sometimes at 4 am) we do try to use melatonin spray to help him stay asleep. its not great but better than nothing. sometimes, my son is hungry once fed, he stops laughing

Anonymous
Unregistered

#98 - 06/06/06 08:37 PM

Have you tried treating for yeast? This is for the above poster.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99 - 06/06/06 10:33 PM

Hi...
I'm not sure why they do it. My son is almost 4 and a half, and he does it also. It's almost like he's remembering something hysterical, like a great joke. I used to think it was cute, but it gets old real fast, especially at night. On the bright side, he is doing it less than he used to. I'm hoping that eventually, he will stop completely. Good luck!!
Jen

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100 - 06/06/06 10:33 PM

Laughing for no reason is a big sign of a yeast infection. Have you read the Karyn Seroussi book called "Unraveling the mystery of Autism and PDD"? If not you really should go and purchse it.

Most kids who laugh at night or for no reason are usually responders to the gluten free/casein free diet and to supplements. Most ASD kids who crave milk, carbs, and cheese means they have a gluten/casein intolerance and usually has had many earinfections as an infant and has been on too many antibiotics. Hence the massive yeast infection.

Go to my son's website and scroll to the bottom. When we started treating him for yeast he started pooping thousands of yeast pellets a day. http://www.sashasrecovery.com/about_me.html

Also you can read more at www.danasview.net or www.generationrescue.org or www.tacanow.com

We did the Organic Acid Test from Great Plains Laboratory www.greatplainslaboratory.com (they are BCBS PPO so if you have BCBS insurance it should be covered) and my son's yeast level was 821.74 and the reference range was 0.0-47. His was severe and we've been batteling it for a long time now.

Also go to www.yahoo.com sign up for a free email... click on "groups" and type in the group search GFDFKIDS
You will find thousands of parents who's kids laughed at night and they all eventually had to go on the diet. Your normal pediatrician will not be supportive. It took me giving my pediatrician book after book after book for him to come onboard. We also see a DAN! doctor in Cleveland, TN.

Good luck!
Crystal
www.sashasrecovery.com

krnewman

Reged: 06/07/06
Loc: Rural Michigan
      #104 - 06/07/06 01:09 PM

Our 9 year old LFA did that back when he was 4 and 5, and treating for yeast did help, I think. He went GFCF and we gave him probiotics, especially sacchromyces boulardi (sp?). Also ground flax seed in his GFCF waffles.

He hasn't done the hysterical laughter too much lately, about once very month or two, and he usually only wakes up in the night for a few hours once a week or so, more if he's having a gut flare up. He can now tolerate casein, so we just have him GF, although he refuses milk and only eats small amounts of cheese, but we put powdered milk in his GF pizza dough.

WhiteLilac

Reged: 06/09/06
Loc: Illinois
      #130 - 06/09/06 11:22 PM

Have you tried giving him Melatonin?

--------------------
Lila
mom to Mark, age 15
HFA/Aspergers

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Strange Nightime Behavior [Re: WhiteLilac]
      #150 - 06/13/06 09:40 AM

Someone recommended a product from Europe called Noctium for helping ASD kids to sleep. Do a search on it. This guy swears by it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157 - 06/14/06 09:54 AM

My son no longer gets up for hours on end because he was put on risperedol, this also meant his regression stopped, because he is finally getting the sleep he deserves!

glorydays65

Reged: 07/05/06
      #209 - 07/05/06 10:22 PM

Soy can cause the same reaction as casein...
My son laughs at night from bananas. He has been on melatonin since the age of 2 when he saw Dr. Lonsdale in Cleveland. He is now almost 10. There is a break in his chemistry that makes it VERY difficult to sleep and melatonin is the end product of a chain reaction that does not occur properly with my boy. Good Luck
gloria

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Strange Nightime Behavior [Re: glorydays65]
      #276 - 10/25/06 12:54 AM

My son still does the laughing but not at night anymore. He can be doing anything and all of a sudden laughs.. and cant seem to stop it. He is in S. Boulardii because he is being treated with Yeast. Would you know the best way to treat yeast?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18110

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism