Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Asperger's Syndrome (Adults)

Pages: 1
AJsMom

Reged: 03/06/11
Appropriate adult interaction with parent
      #5039 - 03/06/11 10:26 PM

My son is an 18 year old high functioning autistic individual. I have had him involved in intervention since he was 3 years old. With my help, he has made great strides in managing his autism over the years. His father and I have been divorced for 14 years. His father does not understand autism and has always treated my son as if he is a child. Upon his 18th birthday, my son and I discussed appropriate adult interaction with his father. His father is upset that my son will no longer continue regular visitation, as he is working and has many other school and social activities taking up his time. My son gets very emotionally upset when he makes decisions regarding when he will see his father and his father becomes defensive and tries to persuade him to continue the regular visitation. I was wondering if anyone may have some experience or suggestions related to such a situation. I welcome any input. It is very difficult to see my son so upset when he is trying so hard and his father makes things worse. Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1312

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism