Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> New Member Area

Pages: 1
jagr3boys

Reged: 03/07/11
Greetings from Western Wisconsin!
      #5043 - 03/07/11 10:56 AM

First time poster, having recently discovered this website. I am the father of three boys, two have HFA. My oldest is 17 with what I call classic Asperger's with AD/HD-inattentive type, OCD, ODD, etc. My 13 year-old is more of a PDD-NOS sort, with AD/HD-hyperactive type, OCD and strong sensory issues. Completed my Master's in Special Education, but I don't really want to work with kids--I get enough of that at home!--but I'd rather work with parents, teachers and college students, sharing my experiences with them. Hopefully I'll be able to do some of that here!

Greg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aspiemomofjacob

Reged: 03/24/11
Re: Greetings from Western Wisconsin! [Re: jagr3boys]
      #5176 - 03/25/11 12:54 AM

Hi Greg,
I bet you get enough of that at home. But I have a question. Most parents with special needs kids, including myself, always wonder what schooling options everyone chooses and why. With a Masters in Special Education, and probably so much expertise in the schooling systems, what do you think? How do you school your children, and any good ideas.. My son is soon go be 11(4/24/2011). He is diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome since just prior to 5. I spent over 5 years in an Illinois school system, that honestly almost drained every ounce of life out of me trying to get them to understand why he was struggling and working with that system. I up and left that community, walked away from our home and everything, but was blessed with a community of which the public school system had just few weeks with him and granted us a full red carpet, to seek out private placement. I know have personal experience to those two schooling options. I have a catch 22 feeling about both.
What do you think? Thanks for reading. Hope to catch the attention of others and seek out their responses and input..

Kelly

aspiemomofjacob

Reged: 03/24/11
      #5177 - 03/25/11 12:58 AM

Hi Greg,
What caught my eye on your post is your education and of course your childrens special needs. I have a question for you because of your masters in Special Education. What do you think is the best placement for our kids? Would you go for private placement?, home schooling?, or public school with services?. Any thoughts would be great to read. Thank you.

Kelly

newmrswinters

Reged: 04/07/11
Loc: Kansas City MO
      #5260 - 04/07/11 03:01 PM

HI, I too am a teacher and get my fill somedays then go home to my daughter who has autism and think "Man she is so much easier than my sixth graders" Other nights "Oh how I wish she could be as easy as my sixth graders."

jagr3boys

Reged: 03/07/11
Re: Greetings from Western Wisconsin! [Re: newmrswinters]
      #5298 - 04/13/11 12:08 PM

Hi aspiemomofjacob! (Kelly is shorter. I'll stick with that.) We have had great experiences in our public school system. We live in a mid-size community 65,000 or so, so the school district is big--and has a lot of resources. I have heard stories from parents who live in smaller school districts that have not had success with their particular schools--teachers who don't understand, won't comply or make accomodations, smaller circle of support for them as parents, etc. To say "it all depends" may not sound like much of an answer, but our experience shows it to be true for us. I know people who home school their children with AS, and it is both stressful and rewarding. I could never do it because my son is so much better than me at Math! (95% on all the state tests, C's in class--sound familiar to anyone?)

I have a nephew and his family who live Joliet. Their daughter has autism--not AS, just more non-verbal--and she has started Kindergarten this year. They had struggles at the beginning of the year to get her going--and to get teachers to understand! The Special Ed. teachers get it--it's the Regular Ed. teachers who have had little training about autism and the spectrum that give most parents in the public school system the most fits. Not all, but some. We've had great teachers who have been very acommodating, and some who just didn't get it. The key is to get to know the teachers, see what their knowledge and experience about AS is. We had an art teacher a few years ago who told us that she had a student with AS once. Well, that was once, and this is our son. He isn't the same as that other student. You have to educate them as much as they educate your child. Sometimes, you have to go with your gut. That instinct as a parent that tells you if it feels right or not. For us, public school has been the right choice. Especially as teachers have now had both boys, and see the differences as well as the similarities. We build the relationships, and keep working together. That needs to happer no matter where you educate your child.

Kinda long-winded, but I hope it helps a little!

Nueroticmomma

Reged: 05/11/11
      #5560 - 05/11/11 11:26 PM

I live in Southwest WI and I love the teachers my son has. I can not stand the Admin. at all. They avoid spending any money even when all the doctors are begging them to provide certain things. I am glad to see there is someone who has knowledge of things.

angelmom12

Reged: 08/02/11
Re: Greetings from Western Wisconsin! [Re: Nueroticmomma]
      #6469 - 08/03/11 12:27 PM

I live in Southwest WI too and I have such mixed feelings about staying where I am or going somewhere else. I am frustrated but yet get more than we used to for my 10 year old with PDD-NOS, adhd, and sid. Wish I knew more of what to do and where to go from here.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7123

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism