Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
PatriceinAz

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Daughter starting GF/CF diet soon
      #338 - 01/01/07 12:14 PM

Hi, I have a beautiful, loving 36 month old daughter who was diagnosed with autism at 23 months. We are doing all the therapy's (ABA, Speech, OT, PT, special needs preschool, suplements). We started all the therapies about 4 months ago, and at the same time started the supplements (DMG, Omega 3's, Super new Thera, zinc, etc), and we have had remarkable improvement in all aspects, especially speech (she went from 5 words to about 300!).

Our doctor now wants up to try the GF/CF diet and I am feeling overwhelmed. 95% of her diet is wheat or dairy and she won't ever try anything else. I'm not the kind of mother that can just say "oh well, if you don't eat this, you will just have to starve"......I've tried supplementing a few foods, and she won't have anything to do with them....Her main staple is Mac/Cheese, yogurt, pudding....any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Annette

Reged: 06/11/06
Loc: Virginia
Re: Daughter starting GF/CF diet soon [Re: PatriceinAz]
      #339 - 01/01/07 08:59 PM

www.danwebcast.com watch the diet videos. We did GF/CF and then went to SCD and then our current diet based on the elimination diet (things he is not allergic to) our case is also on the Washington, DC DAN webcast in the parent panel session. Our son is recovering remarkably. We were overwhelmed mentally at first too!! Don't go to soy products... soy tends to be very allergic for these kids as well. Email me if you want to chat.. Try Houston's Nutraceutical enzymes to help as well. Google "leaky gut" to understand why avoiding gluten and casein is so vital to neurological development.

Best wishes, Annette (pharmacist and wife to a DAN doctor and most importantly mother of a recovering 4 year old)

Jacqui

Reged: 01/14/08
Loc: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Daughter starting GF/CF diet soon [Re: PatriceinAz]
      #637 - 01/14/08 07:26 AM

Hi,
My son has just turned three. He wasdiagnosed at the age of two and a half. He has been on GFCF for around 5 months now. It is the best thing we ever did for him. He was addicted to Milk (the Casien) and peanutbutter and bread (gluten) that is all he would eat. What we did first was take him off the easiest thing first (the milk - casien). We replaced his milk with water. We were ready for a fight on our hands. It was three days of uphill battle and perserverance on our part. Then he didn't miss the milk anymore. Then we did the Gluten. We replaced his bread with Lamb and Chicken and all kinds of fresh veg. (Our son refuses to eat fruit). Use only fresh spices for her and only sea salt no other salt. Sea salt has not no iodine in it.

He started eating like a child posessed. He ate enough for two adults initially. (This was due to withdrawl, their tummy becomes like a bottomless pit). Have food available for her she is going to need it. It eventually subsides and she will eat normally again. Expect her to eat like a crazy person for the first month. Please don't give her anything with Soy, it is so bad for our kiddies. Keep the diet baseline for the first few months so she can stabalise. That means Lamb and veg for breakfast, lunch and dinnner. You can do chips the first night wth the potato etc then cut it into chunks etc and so one. Give her nothing that has Maltodextrin in it and nothing with corn or corn starch. If you want to give her crisps to eat then buy her the Lay's lightly salted crisps. Those are the only crisps that don't have corn starch in them. She will love them. I can send you a really easy cookie recipe that is totally GFCF that she will absolutely love.

My son has gone from being totally high (gluten and casien cause an morphine like effect in his body) to so with us.

It's tje best thing we did for him once you get into GFCF it is really easy...I sounds overwhelming but it really isn't. It will be the best thing you could do. My son has full eye contact with me (like a normal child) he is aware and he responds to his name. He was non verbal and has started to speak. He calls me Mommy and his Dad Daddy. He calls his baby brother by his name. The tantrums and minimal and he has started showing and asking for what he wants. His therapy outcome is amaizing....

GFCF is worth the effort.

JaneB

Reged: 02/09/08
Loc: NSW,AU
Re: Daughter starting GF/CF diet soon [Re: Jacqui]
      #667 - 02/09/08 07:26 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the above information, my son Joel has not been diagnosed with Autism, but is still being assessed. He was not speaking at the age of three, so has severe speech delay.
He is 4.5yrs, only eats wheat and dairy since he turned 1 approx. I have been hoping he would grow out of it. I took him to an allergyist at 3yrs, who told me he may have an intolerance to wheat and dairy, but I couldn't stick to the plan, it was very distressing at the time.

I have since realised that the wheat and diary are probably causing most of his problems, ie, ear infections, speech etc (I have eliminated most of his dairy over last 2 wks).

So...thanks again, will be taking him off all gluten products (hubby a baker, this should be fun!) and see if this improves things. Not looking forward to all the tantrums that will come with taking him off wheat though! Wish me luck! Thanks again

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10192

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism