Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> Best and Worst States for Autism Services

Pages: 1
sheree

Reged: 04/01/07
Maryland
      #418 - 04/01/07 09:12 PM

I live in Montgomery County, Maryland with my 19 year old daughter. Although Maryland has not been rated highly among the states, and I know that many people are on waiting lists for services, we have been very fortunate. My county is bussing my daughter 1 and 1/2 hours to an excellent private school in Virginia, and providing 2 aides on the bus for only 2 students who go to this school from our county. I have more hours for in-home one-to-one support than I can use in a year, with no contribution from my family and at a generous hourly rate that allows me to hire well-trained, professional people. The Autism Waiver provides medical assistance, which has covered prescriptions and physician care at 100%, even at the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore at their Autism Center. There are many good schools in state for children like my daughter, but because one school closed recently, the good programs were flooded with those students, which is why my daughter goes out of state. The Kennedy Krieger School is great, and Ivymount School in Rockville is also great.
I don't know what will happen when my daughter turns 21 and leaves school and many of the programs we now use will end. DDA will take over and we will have to see if we can get her accepted into a day program. Next year we will begin transition services and find out what awaits us. It is scary. No one advertises the programs out there to help families, and if you find them and tap in to them you are lucky. This is an expensive area to live in, but so far it has been worth it, because we have definitely received back far more than we have paid in taxes.
I have looked into moving to Virginia, but people there have told me DON'T! The supports are not nearly as good as they are here. I would love to hear about other places that provide good adult services!

Edited by Administrator (06/26/07 11:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
p10030

Reged: 05/19/07
Loc: North Carolina
Re: maryland services *DELETED* [Re: sheree]
      #458 - 05/19/07 01:30 PM

Post deleted by Administrator

alh

Re: maryland services [Re: p10030]
      #459 - 05/19/07 02:43 PM

Regardless of what your state is telling you - If your child has an IEP remember that he has FEDERAL RIGHTS as a child with a disability under IDEA 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and NCLB (No Child Left Behind). I am a parent - not authorized to practice law - so I can only speak of my personal experience. We have fought the system (to a district administration and state department of education level) by knowing the ins and outs of these laws personally. IDEA ensures your child a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) - at no cost to the family. Do you have Special Education Resource Centers in North Carolina? If so, you may be able to find a parent/child advocate who may be able to help you. If not, an attorney who specializes in Special Education Law might be able to help. It is so sad that it comes to this. Parents just should not have to work this hard to ensure a successful future for their kids. We, too, are moving and hoping to find a better future in CA for our son. Best of luck to you!

p10030

Loc: North Carolina
Re: maryland services [Re: alh]
      #460 - 05/21/07 01:50 AM

Since I've worked within the field of special education for ten years and am in my final year of receiving a Masters Degree in Special Education, special education law and policy exudes from my pores; knowing the law is not the problem, it is getting the professionals to adhere to the law that I find most troublesome. It became a daily struggle to get my son's teacher to understand the importance of the environmental antecedents to behavior - (in other words, she kept a radio playing in the classroom all day and the principal and the director of exceptional services didnt see that as a problem) - and how these factors can influence and trigger behavioral responses children due to hypersensitivities to sensory input. After explaining that, I looked around the table to find disinterest, apathy and outright indignation from the speech therapist. I finally gave up and began home schooling him using ABA because the behaviors he began to exhibit were becoming increasingly dangerous, which brings me to my other point of contention, the so-called crisis services they have here in North Carolina. Basically, you bring your child to the local hospital and have them assessed by the A Team (Assessment Team), who, after a wait of 6-7 hours, informs you that, despite being a danger to himself and possibly others, there is nothing they can do, so you must take him home; this is the only procedure that is available here (his psychiatrist keeps telling me that this is all that he can do). So, I had a child at home who screamed incessently, punched holes into the walls, attacked me physically, and knocked over or threw furniture and any other item on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis with no source of assistance to call upon. The police would not do anything because they needed an involuntary committment order from a magistrate, but, as the officer confessed, there is no where to take him because no hospital offers in-patient services to MR/DD children. As a result, and as I type, I am scheduling flights to go back home to NYC to get him some crisis services because I cannot just sit back and allow this stupidity to continue. However, although I greatly appreciate your input, I am way past the find a resource or agency stage; besides I've already tried those avenues for years to no avail. I have to go and go now before he seriously hurts himself or me (and I am well bruised already). Thanks anyway.

sunnycal

Reged: 08/15/07
Re: maryland services [Re: p10030]
      #517 - 08/15/07 02:03 AM

Alh, please do share your experience with services in California. I can say that the bay area (with a few exceptions) is pathetic. Our school district offers our autistic son only 2 hrs/day of ABA and 1 hr/week of speech and OT. Did you move to Southern Cal and are services better there. Would appreciate a response. Thanks.

busterduck

Reged: 12/01/08
Re: maryland services [Re: sunnycal]
      #946 - 06/11/09 07:48 AM

It would be nice to keep this thread for Maryland. I was confused that there was only one post about maryland in the Maryland thread.

LawyerMom

Reged: 06/22/09
Re: maryland services [Re: busterduck]
      #954 - 06/22/09 10:05 PM

Does anybody have more information about the Baltimore area services? My 3 year old was just diagnosed with autism. I'm moving here from the Philadelphia area. I don't know if I should purposefully derail the contract I have on a house I'm purchasing in Baltimore city and just move to an apartment in Montgomery County (and have my husband commute 1.5 hours each way)??

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism