Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

General Discussion >> New Member Area

Pages: 1
Joyce

Reged: 10/08/07
Loc: Michigan
Hello Everyone
      #562 - 10/08/07 10:17 AM

My name is Joyce and I have three beautiful girls. My middle child, Laura, is 11 years old and is autistic. She's a joy but a huge handful.

Her sisters are 'normal.' The oldest is 14 and in high school and the youngest is 6 and in first grade. My oldest is usually embarrased by Laura and by little one will usually play with her without problems. She's just now starting to realize that Laura is 'different'.

Laura is in a regular 5th grade classroom with 'normal' kids who have known her since 1st grade. They are amazing with her and very protective of her. Laura is at about a kindergarten-1st grade level. My big goal, scholastically speaking, is to have her able to read. She goes to a tutor once a week (grandparents pay for it - God bless them!) and Laura is starting to go forward again in reading.

My big concern right now is the puberty issue. She's starting to develop and I can almost see the hormones running through her. We've had a number of days in a row where she just seems to cry for no reason.

We've only had one incident (so far) that I found frightening. We were at the high school's football game to watch her big sister play in the marching band at halftime. We'd been to three gamns so far without problems but this time, my parents couldn't attend. She was a bit upset at first and I realized (a little to late) that she was looking for my dad (her favorite person) and was upset that he wasn't there. About 10 minutes before halftime, she became upset and began to try to hit me. I've never seen her like this before but she spent several minutes trying to hurt me. We ended up leaving about 5-7 minutes later.

Now I know to carry her pressure vest with me at all times.

Has anyone on this board had to deal with a girl going through puberty on the spectrum?

--------------------
Joyce

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bell

Reged: 10/09/07
Re: Hello Everyone [Re: Joyce]
      #566 - 10/09/07 04:41 PM

I used an online booklet from the Down's Syndrome Scotland, talk-about-puberty. It helped my daughter to understand that she will have lots of different emotions, maybe all in the same day. When she cries or yells she puts it down to becoming a lady.

luvnit

Reged: 10/17/07
      #581 - 10/19/07 03:58 PM

That must be very difficult. I can only imagine what it will be like for my little girl when she gets older. I have not actual advice for you, but I can recommend a place called Super Duper Publications. They have tons of resources. I hope you find what you are looking for. I may need YOUR advice someday

Joyce

Re: Hello Everyone [Re: luvnit]
      #587 - 10/20/07 09:09 PM

Isn't Super Duper a teacher's resource catalog? I think I remember looking at something like that and the prices were waaaay out of my ballpark. Do you have a link I can go to?

--------------------
Joyce

luvnit

#588 - 10/21/07 11:16 AM

Super Duper can be a teacher's resource, but it's not only a teacher's resource. I do find that many 'manual' type books I find are quite expensive and not avaialble at the library. However, Super Duper has lots of stuff, games, toys, etc. Not just books and not just for teachers.

I did take a look and didn't find anything about puberty. Here is a link to Super Duper Publications:

www.superduperinc.com

If cost is an issue (like for most of us) you may be able to find somehting at the library. It may not be geared specifically toward girls on the spectrum, but that may not be necessary.

What specifically are you looking to educate about? Or is it several things in general?

Joyce

#594 - 10/24/07 07:34 AM

Mainly how to handle her period when it comes time. I figure it'll be within the year since she's 11 now and both I and my older daughter were 12 when we started. I'm not sure how much she'll understand. I tried to help her when her baby teeth became loose but she still freaked out when they fell out.

Most of the puberty books I used for my oldest were very wordy which is exactly what we don't need. I need something simple and easy to understand.

And thank you for the link. I'll be checking it out later!

--------------------
Joyce

luvnit

#595 - 10/24/07 02:56 PM

I know that www.autismshopper.com carries a book called:

I Have My Period

It's is open and graphic, but the pictures are cartoons of getting blood in your underwear, changing a sanitary pad, wrapping it up and putting it in the garbage, washing hands afterward.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Joyce

#597 - 10/24/07 07:49 PM

Wow! what an interesting site. I really wish I had a LOT of money to spend here.

Thank you so much for the link.

--------------------
Joyce

lkatrych

Reged: 12/17/07
      #621 - 12/20/07 01:39 PM

Hello Joyce, I am new too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism