Home - Autism Symptoms - Autism Videos - Autism Organizations - Autism Message Boards - Articles - Contact

DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPAM ON OUR MESSAGE BOARDS, NEW REGISTRATIONS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Autism Key Message Boards Discussion Forums

Disorders & Conditions >> Classic Autism (3-6 years old)

Pages: 1
latasha_gavsmom

Reged: 01/05/09
Loc: Iowa, USA
Help w/ fighting school
      #868 - 01/05/09 10:44 PM

I am really frustrated because my son is in an integrated program but they only allow him to go an hour and a half a day. The first half hour he is not even in the classroom with the other kids and during speech therapy days he is not in there at all. I keep asking them to increase his time, but they say they do not want incidents in the classroom if they increase his time. He has a one on one and loves school so I do not see why we can not increase him to a half day. I have tried talking to the principal and she just says its not up to me its up to the iep team. When I asked to meet with the IEP team they made a meeting they said we could do it during PT Conferences. At the conference the only one there was his teacher and me with her copy of the iep. I dont know who I can go to for help if the principal wont listen. Does anyone know?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tracy

Reged: 04/04/09
Re: Help w/ fighting school [Re: latasha_gavsmom]
      #903 - 04/04/09 10:38 PM

I am so sorry you are fighting with your school. I can't imagine why he would only be going to school an hour and a half. I can see why you are upset. The best advice I can think of would be to get a hold of a state advocate. They know your rights and are generally willing to go with you to IEP meetings. In AR, the IEP in not valid until you sign it, so if you don't like what is on it, don't sign it. Request a behavior therapist to come in and assess his behavior and needs and get a behavior plan in place. It sounds like no one wants to put any time into his needs or education. Good luck!

GabesMom

Reged: 04/15/09
Loc: United States
Re: Help w/ fighting school [Re: tracy]
      #912 - 04/16/09 04:24 PM

Don't stop fighting! You are absolutely right in demanding that he gets more time in school, Especially if he has a 1 on 1 and loves to be there! I am in shock that a school would do this! I had to fight our previous school for nearly 18 months just to get my son an iep, and my son had already been diagnosed PDD-NOS, but they said that did not qualify him for services through the district, and eventually they found him eligible under other health impaired for exhibiting symptoms of ADHD. Can you believe that? Don't stop fighting them. Schools are required by LAW to give our children the absolute LEAST retrictive environment to learn in, and an equal right to education and if he's only there an hour and a half, that sounds pretty darn restrictive to me. Hang In there! Knuckle down & Look up some laws on equal rights to education for children with diassabilities, And throw the whole book at them if you have to and tell them you will not go away or stop, and you will go to the district if you have to! That's what I did and it eventually worked! They all sighed when they saw me coming at that school, but i didn't care, becasue it wasn't about me, it was about Gabe getting the help he needed. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
GabesMom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Autism